Thursday, February 11, 2010

Lack of Originality in Hollywood

When I heard that they were making yet ANOTHER Spider-Man movie I rolled my eyes. Then I learned that they were actually remaking the first one. Seriously? Do we really need two of the same movies only ten years apart from each other? Um, no.

Hollywood has seriously been lacking in the originality department of late. The amount of movies being remade is simply dizzying. The worst part is, these are not remakes of classic black and white films. These are remakes of films we’ve already seen in the last decade if not even more recent!

I fail to understand why any movie made in a foreign country must be somehow redone by Americans. Let the Right One In, for example is an amazing Swedish film that in my opinion, could not have been done any better. Of course, Hollywood has decided to remake it into Let Me In, due out this year.


Rumors swirl of remakes such as Mr. and Mrs. Smith, Superman (done by Christopher Nolan?!), and The Thing. I am utterly disappointed. I’m sick of remakes and sick of sequels (Mission Impossible 4, Ghostbusters 3 and Batman 3 are said to be coming as well). There are so many books published every year; can we not make those into movies at least? Please Hollywood, show me that you have more creativity than this!


By: Jamie Z.

Let The Right One In poster from IMDB.com
Let Me In poster from wildaboutmovies.com

2 comments:

  1. I don't care I'm so excited for batman 3 and let me in. But I do agree they need to chill with the remakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Let Me In poster is awesome by the way =)

    ReplyDelete