Thursday, February 4, 2010

My 15 Most Anticipated Movies of 2010

To be fair I must admit that there are 12 months in the year 2010, all filled with sparkly new movie releases. I have choosen only 15 of them to focus on; the 15 that I personally am most interested in seeing. Keep in mind, my opinion may differ from yours, and certain trends may be present (for example, I love action movies and hate cheesy romantic comedys). Nonetheless, I hope you will enjoy the list I have put together. Onward then!

By: Jamie Z.



15. Burlesque- Yes, I know that Burlesque will probably be another one of “those” movies circa Save the Last Dance or Dirty Dancing. It’s described as being about a small-town girl who moves to LA to find her place and ends up at a burlesque club.Cliche right? But, as a fan of Christiana Aguilera’s music, I am rather excited to see how she does with acting. Also, burlesque dancing is a lot more interesting than hip-hop or salsa. Add in the yummy Cam Gigandet, adorable Kristen Bell, and interestingly original Cher, and we may yet have a winner. Out in theatres November 24, 2010. (Movie poster from http://www.poprepublic.tv/v2/)



14. Priest- Priest, starring Paul Bettany, Cam Gigandet (yes, again!), Christopher Plummer , Maggie Q, Karl Urban, and Stephen Moyer is about a priest who is tracking down vampires that kidnapped his niece. The cast list is enough to draw one’s attention. I love horror movies, especially good ones, and especially good ones with original plotlines (it's described as being a “vampire-western”). I also like movies about priests, for some reason. They always seem to be interesting cinematic characters. Plus, Paul Bettany? Yes, please. Out in theatres August 20, 2010 (Poster from Wikipedia.org)




13. Jonah Hex- Jonah Hex is about a bounty hunter in the wild west who tracks a southern sympathizing voodoo zombie-raiser. Starring Josh Brolin, Megan Fox, and John Malkovich, Jonah Hex looks like it will deliver some entertainment, if nothing else. What’s with the trend in wild west movies for 2010? Out in theatres August 6, 2010 (Movie poster from JoBlo.com)






12. Resident Evil: Afterlife- Both Milla Jovovich and Ali Larter are back, as well as some old and new characters. To be honest I don’t know the exact plot line but, who cares? Most people think the first Resident Evil movie was the only good one and the rest went downhill after that. I disagree. Since I’m not a player of the video games, I have no high hopes for truthful storylines. I like to take these movies for what they are; a zombie-killing good time. And with some (recently absent in cinema) strong kick-ass female leads, I am definitely in. Out in theatres September 17, 2010. (Movie still from Resident Evil: Extinction, IMDB.com)




11. Your Highness- Your highness is an epic comedy-adventure starring Natalie Portman, James Franco, Danny McBride, and Zooey Deschanel. Two brothers (one gallant and brave, the other a good-for-nothing) must rescue the damsel in distress and save their kingdom from doom. I’m quite excited to see this ensemble together (fingers crossed that Zooey shows me she can actually act). Plus, a comedy set in medieval times sounds purely wonderful. Out in theatres October 1, 2010 (Movie still from JoBlo.com).



10. The Roommate- I love a good thriller. Especially one about a crazy college girl (Leighton Meester) obsessed with her roommate (Minka Kelly). Simple plot line. Young stars (this is a very busy year for Mr. Gigandet who is also in this film!) What more could you ask for? Out in theatres September 17, 2010 (Movie still from JoBlo.com)



9. Rapunzel- I love Disney and was absolutely pleased with The Princess and the Frog. While Rapunzel does not follow in its example of going back to original 2D art, it does offer a story more reminiscent of the older princess films that have made Disney famous. With the voices of Mandy Moore and Zachary Levi , Disney and Pixar have created what is sure to be another box-office hit. Out in theatres December 25, 2010. (Movie still from JoBlo.com)


8. The Wolfman- This movie starring Benicio Del Toro, Anthony Hopkins, Emily Blunt, and Hugo Weaving is the first on my list to come out in theatres. As I said before, I love a good horror or thriller movie. This one I am especially excited about because it goes back to the roots of horror….the werewolf. Based on a classic, with an amazing cast and some new technology, I have very high hopes for The Wolfman. Out in theatres February 12, 2010. (Movie poster from JoBlo.com)





7. Robin Hood- I’ve always been a fan of the story of Robin Hood (especially when it comes in the form of BBC’s Jonas Armstrong) and this movie is no exception. To be honest, I have my doubts that it will become nothing more than Gladiator 2 with Russell Crowe, but I am hopeful that Mr. Crowe can prove me wrong and portray an awesome Robin Hood. Oh, and Cate Blanchett is playing Maid Marion, a casting that is, in my opinion, delightfully perfect. Out in theatres May 14, 2010. (Movie poster from JoBlo.com)




6. Prince of Persia- First off, I’d like to point out that Prince of Persia is a Disney film. That means it will hopefully be refreshingly lacking of the tortured soul of the hero or awkwardly forced sex scene. Jake Gyllenhaal stars as a prince who teams up with a princess (Gemma Arterton!) to stop the bad guy from destroying the world etc. It looks like a nice fun family adventure. Out in theatres May 28, 2010. (Movie poster from JoBlo.com)





5. Alice in Wonderland- Alice in Wonderland is one of my absolute favorite stories of all time and I love the Disney animated movie. Of course with the release of Tim Burton’s new film, that will let Alice go mainstream, a fact I can only overlook because of the fact that Johnny Depp will be in the movie. Apparently, this will be a “whole new Alice”. We will see, we will see. This rendition also stars Mia Wasikowska, Anne Hathaway, Helena Bonham Carter, Crispin Glover, and Alan Rickman. Out in theatres March 5, 2010. (Movie poster from JoBlo.com)





4. A Nightmare on Elm Street- First of all, I loved loved loved the original Nightmare on Elm Street. I was none too happy with the news that they were remaking it, even though I knew one day it must happen. But when I heard they cast Jackie Earle Haley as the new Freddy, I started to become intrigued. After seeing the trailer, I am fully anxious. And to be honest, it looks good. It may not be better than the original but it can’t possibly be any worse than some of the sequels. Out in theatres March 16, 2010. (Movie poster from JoBlo.com)



3. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1- Although I did roll my eyes at the obvious money-making scheme in making the last book into 2 movies, it will serve the purpose of being able to include more material. Although not one of those crazy stans who dresses up and waits in line for hours for the newest installment, I have read all the books and have seen all of the movies and enjoyed both. Each of the movies get better and better and have a feeling this one is no exception to the rule. Bring it on Voldemort. Out in theatres November 19, 2010. (Movie still from JoBlo.com)



2. Clash of the Titans- Starring Sam Worthington, Ralph Fiennes, Liam Neeson, and Gemma Arterton (another one with a busy 2010!), Clash of the Titans is a remake of impossible proportions. The original was fun to watch but this one, with today’s technology will prove to be quite an experience I’m sure. The fact that they’ve casted Neeson and Fiennes as Greek Gods means they’re on the right track. One word: Kraken. Out in theatres March 26, 2010. (Movie poster from JoBlo.com)




1. Iron Man 2- I absolutely loved Iron Man. Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark in a totally new type of superhero movie was refreshing and fun. Needless to say, I am super excited for the next one. This time around we get to see Don Cheadle (replacing Terrence Howard) fight alongside Stark as War Machine. Throw in Scarlett Johannson as Black Widow, Sam Rockwell, Samuel L. Jackson and the bad-ass looking Mickey Rourke as Whip-lash and the excitement grows. This film will be unique in focusing on a super-hero who is out in the open about his identity. I simply cannot wait. Out in theatres May 7, 2010. (Movie poster from JoBlo.com)





Alright folks, what did I miss? What movies are you most looking foward to seeing in 2010?

1 comment:

  1. Love the thrillers and Disney movies. Too many action movies though.

    ReplyDelete