Saturday, February 13, 2010

Review: New York, I Love You

New York, I Love You: 2 (out of 5) stars

New York, I Love You, released on DVD in 2010, is a menagerie of celebrities starring in numerous small stories that all take place within the city of New York. Natalie Portman, Maggie Q, Christina Ricci, Robin Wright Penn, Orlando Bloom, Ethan Hawke, Shia LaBeouf and many more make appearances in the somewhat shambled anthology film that is New York, I Love You.

NYILY is based on Paris, je t'aime (Paris, I Love You) which is a similar movie, released in 2006, that has 20 separate stories of love in Paris. Since I was absolutely delighted with Paris, je t'aime, I had high expectations for New York, I Love You. Sadly, I was disappointed.

During most of the stories, I had absolutely no idea what was going on. They had no developmental plots and frankly, no point in even being there. To be honest, I can’t even remember what happened in most of the parts, which is expressive of the confusing forgetfulness that was apparent in the whole movie.

Orlando Bloom and Christina Ricci’s story was cute in that it showed a relationship developing between two people over the phone who didn’t know each other (and I am being biased because I like both of the two). The storyline featuring Olivia Thirlby and Anton Yelchin was cute and even a bit humerous. Although I was completely confused at what was happening during Shia Labeouf’s story, his character was still endearing and well-played.

All in all, NYILY, while sprinkled with stars aplenty, turned out to be one of those movies that celebrities make to show how artsy and creative they are. So if you’re thinking about watching New York, I Love You, skip it and watch Paris, je t'aime instead.


By: Jamie Z

1 comment: